Plan on traveling out of town this summer or fall? Here are 12 important safety tips to help protect your home while you’re away.
1. Check all the locks and deadbolts on your doors and windows. Replace old deadbolts that might be easy to kick in. For windows, insert dowel rods inside the window frame so they can’t be forced open.
2. Test your home security and/or smoke alarms. Replace any dead batteries.
3. Notify your security company that you’ll be away. Give a trusted family member, friend or neighbor your alarm code, the security company’s contact info, your itinerary and your contact numbers in case of emergencies.
4. Install a motion-sensor on one or more outdoor lights. Inside, set inside lights and/or a stereo to turn off and on randomly.
5. Hold your mail, newspaper and garbage service. Or better yet, have a trusted neighbor or house sitter collect your deliveries every day and bring in the garbage bins on collection day.
6. Don’t leave a spare key outside. Instead, give it to a trusted family member, friend or neighbor.
7. Arrange to have your lawn mowed while you’re gone.
8. Prune any shrubs or trees near your home’s doors or windows, so burglars can’t conceal themselves.
9. Secure the garage by unplugging the electric door opener or deadbolt the door so can’t be opened. If you’re leaving a car at home, park it outside against the garage door to block access. Be sure to remove any garage door remotes from the car.
10. Lock up any valuables.
11. Unplug small appliances or electronics, such as the coffeemaker or the TV, or make sure they are plugged into a surge protector. An unexpected power surge can damage these items or even cause a fire.
12. Don’t broadcast you’re out of town on your voice mail, email, Facebook or other social media sites. Wait to post your vacation photos until after you return.
Denalect Alarm proudly serves the home and business security needs of Contra Costa County in Northern California: Concord, Danville, Dublin, El Cerrito, Hercules, Lafayette, Livermore, Martinez, Moraga, Oakley, Orinda, Pittsburg, Pleasant Hill, Pleasanton, San Ramon and Walnut Creek.
Add a Comment