Spring has arrived in the Bay Area and at Denalect, it’s that time of year when we encourage folks to think about annual security system maintenance. Without routine maintenance, even the best system can fail, exposing you and your family to theft. Whether you prefer to have a technician come out or to do the work yourself, here’s an easy checklist on how to keep everything running smoothly for years to come.
Test your system. This is the most reliable way to make sure that Denalect (or your security provider) is still receiving the system’s signal. If you’re a Denalect customer, just follow these step-by-step instructions to do it yourself:
- Call the Central Station and tell them that you are testing your system. A Saturday or Sunday afternoon usually works best.
- Turn on the system while you’re in the house, then trigger the alarm by opening a window or door. Let it ring 15 seconds before turning it off by entering your code.
- Call the Central Station to make sure they received your alarm’s signal. Note: your phone line may be disabled for a short time if the alarm uses the phone lines to contact us.
Check the batteries. Another important maintenance step is ensuring that your system’s batteries are still working. While every system is different, here are some general guidelines:
- All of Denalect’s alarm systems have backup batteries in case of power failures. Expect to change the backups every 3-5 years.
- If you have Denalect-installed smoke detectors, they will most likely draw their power from the alarm panel. If your house came with smoke detectors, then you will most likely need to replace the batteries every year.
- Batteries for wireless alarm sensors and panic buttons also need to be checked and replaced periodically.
Unsure which batteries your system need to be replaced? If your alarm was installed by Denalect, we’ll have that info on record. Just call and ask for our service department. Or you can drop by our business office and we’ll sell you the batteries you need. Don’t want to worry about system testing and battery checks? For a small monthly fee, we offer a maintenance program that covers all necessary tests, battery replacements, etc.
If you would like us to walk you through either process or schedule a technician to come out, feel free to contact us at 925-935-2680, 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday.
Denalect Alarm is proud to serve home and business security and alarm systems in Northern California: Antioch, Blackhawk, Concord, Danville, Dublin, El Cerrito, Hercules, Lafayette, Livermore, Martinez, Moraga, Oakley, Orinda, Pittsburg, Pleasant Hill, Pleasanton, San Ramon and Walnut Creek.