If you’re a homeowner, you may know that installing an alarm system is just the first step in securing your property. Without routine maintenance, your system can fail, exposing you and your family to theft.
Whether you have a technician come out or prefer to do the work yourself, here are some tips on how to keep it running smoothly for years to come.
Testing Your Alarm System
Test your system once a year to be sure Denalect still receives the alarm signal. “This is the most reliable way to make sure your alarm system can communicate with us,” explains Denalect’s owner and founder Rod Uffindell.
Prefer to test the alarm system yourself? A Saturday or Sunday afternoon usually works best. Just follow these easy step-by-step instructions:
- Call Denalect’s Central Station and tell them you are testing your system.
- Turn on the system while you’re in the house. Then you want to trigger the alarm. For example, open a window or door. Let it ring 15 seconds then turn it off by entering your code.
- Call the Central Station to make sure they received your alarm’s signal. Note: Your phone line may be disabled for a short time if the alarm is set up to use the phone lines to contact us.
If you have any questions or would like Denalect to walk you through the testing process, feel free to contact us at (925) 935-2680, weekdays between 9:30am to 4pm, and ask for the service department.
Or schedule a technician to come out and test the system for you. For a small additional monthly fee, Denalect offers a maintenance program, which covers the cost of all necessary tests, battery replacements, etc.
Replace Old Batteries
In alarm maintenance, another important step is replacing the old batteries. How often do they need to be replaced? While every system is different, here are some general guidelines:
- All of Denalect’s alarm systems have backup batteries in case of power failures. Expect to change those batteries every 3-5 years.
- Batteries for wireless alarm sensors and panic buttons also need to be replaced periodically.
- If your alarm has smoke detectors installed by Denalect, they will most likely draw their power from the alarm panel. If your house came with smoke detectors, then you will most likely need to replace the batteries every year.
Unsure which batteries your system need to be replaced? If your alarm was installed by Denalect, we’ll have that information on record. Call us weekdays at (925) 935-2680, between 9:30am to 4pm, and ask for the service department. You can even drop by our business office and we’ll sell you the batteries you need.
Or set up an appointment with one of our technicians to replace the batteries for you. Just contact our business office at (925) 935-2680, between 9am to 5pm, Monday through Friday.
> If you’re an existing Denalect customer, it’s a good idea to let us know whenever there’s any work done on your telephone lines or if you’re switching providers. Certain alarm systems might be affected by, or not work with, some of the phone providers out there. That’s why we provide several different options for monitoring your system, including cellular, internet and our own private wireless network.
Denalect Alarm is proud to serve home alarm and business security and alarm systems in Northern California: Antioch, Blackhawk, Concord, Danville, Dublin, El Cerrito, Hercules, Lafayette, Livermore, Martinez, Moraga, Oakley, Orinda, Pittsburg, Pleasant Hill, Pleasanton, San Ramon and Walnut Creek.
Add a Comment